Directions to Our Office from Cowesett
5 Fun Facts About Cowesett, Rhode Island
- Cowesett is known as the “Wellesley by the Sea” because of its similarity to affluent Wellesely, MA but with the added benefit of being on the coast.
- The name Cowesett, which has had various spellings throughout history, may be derived from the Narragansett expression kówaw ‘pine tree’ + -es ‘small’ + -sett ‘place’, meaning ‘Small Pine Place.
- Cowesett is home to actor James Woods, former boxer Vinny Pazienza, and Olympic Gold Medalist Sara DeCosta.
- Cowesett was primarily agricultural until the end of the 19th century when prominent Rhode Island families began to build their country villas overlooking Greenwhich bay.
- The Cowesett Pound is thought to have been built in about 1742 by David Greene. The pound is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
To come to our office from Cowesett follow the directions below or click on “More options” in the map for alternate routes.
Cowesett is located between Rhode Island Route 117 on its north and East Greenwich, Rhode Island on it’s south. To the east is the neighborhood of Chepiwanoxet and Greenwich Bay, an arm of Narragansett Bay. The neighborhood is in walking distance of Main Street and other attractions such as Scallop Town Park, Academy Field, and the town library in East Greenwich, Rhode Island.